Regardless if you are a fan of the movie, chances are that you have witnessed the “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” frenzy. Nine years after the original “Anchorman,” one of our favorite news teams is back at it again and they are making sure everyone knows it.
Anchorman 2 has a crazy good marketing team
Movie promotions and marketing partnerships are nothing new, even movies in the silent era had product placement. But it appears the marketing minds behind “Anchorman 2” are taking it a step further. They are utilizing the huge following they gained from the first “Anchorman” and essentially handing them entertaining material to share on their own social media sites. Many companies saw the fan engagement and the anticipation building up for the sequel and created a partnership that will also help increase their own sales.
Here is a sampling of those partnerships and promotional opportunities that “Anchorman 2” has taken advantage of:
- Ron Burgundy co-hosted a live newscast on North Dakota’s KXMB-TV.
- Paul Rudd was joined by the rest of the news team as he hosted Saturday Night Live.
- Ron Burgundy is appearing in Dodge commercials and Durango sales have increased by nearly 60 percent.
- Ron Burgundy co-hosted the Dan Patrick Show.
- Ron Burgundy and Baxter graced the cover of Dog Fancy.
- The Newseum in Washington DC unveiled “Anchorman: The Exhibit” which will be open until August 2014.
- An article in Adweek.
- Other marketing partnerships include Jockey, Ben & Jerry’s, Miller Brewing Co. and Hot Topic.
They’ve changed the landscape of film marketing and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. Whether you are tired of seeing Ron Burgundy on a daily basis or can’t get enough, the film’s marketing team has created a campaign so immersive that we have never seen anything like it. The question now becomes, will we see another campaign like this? Either way:
“You stay classy.”